I saw this recipe in Food Network Magazine, looked in my fridge, and since we’d just had tacos the other night, I had all the ingredients on hand. It’s really easy and achingly cute. I mean, it’s a PUMPKIN. Made of cheese. Oh, god. Be still my heart. I added the pumpkin face because I just happened to have a purple pepper on hand. I think the pumpkin face is key to achieve a certain high level of cuteness. Plus, this ball is TASTY…and you can put your kid to work in making it.
- 16 ounces room temperature cream cheese
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar
- 3 tablespoons minced onion
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon minced jalapeño
- Crushed Doritos
- 1 bell pepper
- With a mixer, blend all ingredients until incorporated.
- Form into ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Put in fridge for at least two hours.
- Unwrap, roll in crushed Doritos, and decorate with pepper top and eye and mouth shapes.
It’s that easy!
And here’s the recipe again, in Technicolor.
PS I halved the recipe to make this, and it still worked great. I want to try heating some of the ball up, but I’m a little scared of liquifying the little critter. Ah well. It will be a glorious fate for a cheese ball.